Thursday, August 10, 2006

did you know. . . . .?


  • . . .that alexander the great was macedonian?

  • . . .that human urine is an antidote to a jellyfish sting?
  • 4 comments:

    Anonymous said...

    i totally knew those two things. and here's one for your craw (I am not sure if i am using that word correctly): the European Union, when dealing with the countries of the Balkans, MUST refer to the country of Macedonia, not as Macedonia, as they call themselves, but as The Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, or FYROM, as it reads on placards at big meetings. The reason is that the Greeks have a Macedonia as well and are afraid if we call Macedonia Macedonia that Macedonia will try to claim Greek Macedonia. I once made the mistake of addressing a large conference of parliamentarians from across Europe and the Balkans and saying "Macedonia" and the Greek delegation got up and walked out of the room. The Macedonians bought me a shitload of drinks that night. No lie.

    Elizabeth said...

    this sticks in my craw?

    amigo, i vividly remember your telling me about your FYROM/ macedona problems. in an extremely riveting and funny manner, i might add. though i didn't know about all the drinks.

    Anonymous said...

    in your bonnet? is that where one sticks such things? I don't know what craw is - i thought it was like gumbo. i just mean that this is for your information.
    plant that in your flower garden!

    Anonymous said...

    Oooh, no, I didn't! And I have a sore throat! Better start drinking some water!!!! :-))))
    But here's one old wive's tale for you Debbie that really works!!! Best relief for those itchy mosquito bites? Douse the pesky bite with about a half gallon of petroleum and wave it over a lit candle saying "Itchy itchy go away!" three times. It really works!!!
    hugs,
    Conor