Monday, December 04, 2006

dear managing editor of a journal,

you could not possibly have handled this situation any less professionally. you have had my article for one year. you never answered my first inquiry about its status a month ago. now, when you answer my second inquiry, you inform me that eleven months ago, that is one month after i submitted it, you decided not to send it out for review and now, finally, when you deign to write me back, i am informed of this with a less-than-one-sentence rejection. being rejected is one thing, but being ignored is quite another. i hate you and i hate your ass face!!

sincerely,

elizabeth

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. That really sucks. I kind of wish there were some central place people could review journals and complain about them. What happened to you is so unprofessional, and so disheartening too. I had a similar experience. I sent an essay to a journal, and the managing editor emailed me back saying the editor wanted it for the next issue, but only if I did some major revisions so it would fit. I did the revisions as fast as I could, sent the essay back (by snail mail as requested) and heard nothing. Why? The managing editor forgot to tell me the address had changed for the journal, and the essay got lost in transit, and by the time the journal finally got it, the big-deal-in-my-field editor thought I had blown her off and was really pissed. Managing editor denied everything -- even though I had proof of her screw up in email form. I never bothered to send it in -- the managing editor wouldn't have passed it on anyway. Another journal took the essay, but not before I took the whole thing on the chops. Perfidy.

Elizabeth said...

thanks, y'all. i think i'm getting used to rejection as a way of life, but the getting lost in the shuffle does sting a bit. bah. guess i'll lick my wounds and send it back on out the door.