Thursday, September 07, 2006
fart jokes
this week, filled with the first days of class, meetings, retreats and orientations, i have learned something about myself. perhaps i already knew it but was reluctant to name it. when dealing with groups of people i don't know, in order to fend off or preempt social awkwardness, i like to rely on the most juvenile jokes possible. apparently, i think nothing breaks the ice like saying "poop." i wonder if people are grateful to me for this? if so, i wish they would feel comfortable enough to say so.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I will broach the topic itself by noting the following: at least you haven't yet revealed how there's just something about the air in libraries (and churches) that makes folks feel sorta poopy. Or have you?
--M!
the problem is that it is *not* socially awkward and i have no problem broaching the topic. this is what people should be thanking me for!
M: not yet. HA!!!!
Well, I feel that you are to be commended for
A. not actually farting in these social situations, which would make them perhaps more awkward at the moment, but which would also ensure that at some point during later social occasions, to which you will not be invited, a crowd of people will be entertained by the story of the new woman who farted.
Ok, that whole thing was a life imitates fart set up. Sue me.
B. not launching into a detailed description of the South Park episode called "The Brown Noise," which you can't finish because you have dissolved into that especially intense, silent, rocking laughter. Because I've done that, and right now, I'm laughing so hard that I can't type anymore. So maybe I don't have any friends anymore. Whatever. It's funNEE.
Post a Comment