Tuesday, September 08, 2009

updates!

sorry so long since posting!

  1. i have the feeling you and i share some values, such as a good snack. probably, since you value good snacks, you have experimented with peanut butter and/or saltines in various ways. i would like to suggest that you try a saltine with regular butter AND peanut butter AND nutella. it will blow your mind.
  2. file under "teaching the kind of lesson i should have learned by now": my yoga teachers over the past few years have been harping on about tree pose. i hate tree pose--i can't balance standing on one leg, which, if you don't know tree pose, is all you really need to know to understand this update. i always do it with a sigh and an eye roll to indicate that i am indulging the yoga teacher's ridiculous predilections just this once. anyway, now i can do tree pose.
  3. people here at my new job keep asking me how teaching is going. i think it's going fine, so i say, "fine!" i always feel like i should have something more to say, but i don't, because i think it would be boring to my interlocutor to hear about my syllabus and lesson plans and student successes and foibles. but then i feel a bit deficient for not having a fuller answer. when i do start saying something about the adjustment from quarters to semesters, or an assignment i'm teaching, or something, the person glazes over just a tad. so, i'll just have to be fine with feeling a bit deficient in the interests of being a good conversationalist.

4 comments:

yops said...

Try this one:

Q. How's your teaching going?
A. Tree pose, dude. Tree pose.

dhawhee said...

or, in a similar spirit to yops, but with a hint of kenny powers, how about this: "you know, it'd be better if i could get those motherfuckers to spread the peanut butter on my saltines FIRST before adding the nutella."

midmodern scholar said...

People used to ask me how my teaching was going. And I always wanted to tell the truth, which was this: "I hate teaching with every bone in my body, and every class is an exercise in diminished expectations and self-loathing. How's your teaching going?" But I just said this: "Fine."

Now when I hear someone describe her teaching as fine, I think that what they mean is what I meant, and I nod because I like to be on the same page as other people, even if the page we are on is actually about other people who don't know what a page is because they don't know what a book is.

This response is less supportive than I meant it to be, which I guess is what happens when you reveal to others that you are a sucky teacher and a teacher who hates teaching. So here's my more awesome tip: have you tried making a grilled peanut butter sandwich and then putting chocolate ice cream on it? That' s a good snack.

dhawhee said...

midmodern: i can't believe you are still doing that disgusting thing with peanut butter.