Friday, November 09, 2007

dear professor elizabeth,

so far in all my 20 years, i haven't received a single message that everything i say and do isn't precious and perfect and worthy of praise. because my parents asked me if i want carrots or if i want celery, rather than told me to eat my vegetables, i pick and choose what rules i follow and see the world as responding only ever to my whim. my attention and money is constantly solicited by various commercial, media and product endeavors, and i know that means that i am intrinsically valuable. some of your rules make sense to me, such as that i am only allowed three absences during the quarter, and some don't, such as that i am supposed to revise papers at least once before i turn them in. so i won't follow the ones i don't like, but then i will be shocked and offended when i experience the consequences of that choice. besides, every word that falls from my lips and word processor is, like everything else i do, precious and perfect and worthy of praise. when i ask you how to fix something, and you tell me, and i decide i don't want to do that, the fact that i then don't get an A makes me want to tear my hair out. what about me do you hate so much, causing you to give me a B (a B!!!!) when the rest of the world so clearly loves and adores me?

sincerely,

student

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

ps. I can't wait until I get to fill out the course evaluation. Especially that part when they ask me how well the professor knows the material. I love that one. Especially in those cases when the professor has criticized my work, thus proving that I know the material better than her.

Anonymous said...

Awesome. A scary insight into the mind of the modern student. My favorite are the ones who tell me that they NEED to get a good grade in my class in order to get into to graduate school/graduate/keep the car daddy gave them. Like I give a shit what they "need." If you want a good grade then earn it!

Thanks for making my day!

Elizabeth said...

ls: you're welcome. but at what cost??!! what cost??!!

Anonymous said...

cool.

- student

The_Myth said...

I've met this student [or her clone] in nearly every single class I ever taught.