i would put up with all kinds of feathers in my face and not knowing my way around if it meant having friends around.
upon my return to the ROC, i am reminded how lonely i am. if i didn't have my bar buddy (hi, bar buddy!) i might be at the end of my rope. fond as i am of the ROC, it has yet to represent a landscape of friendliness and community. in the fall, respite came in the form of emergency road trips to see friends, and conferences felicitous to meeting up with friends. nothin' doing now. and oddly, colleagues only are interested in inviting me out when chad is in town, as in, "when is chad in town next? we'll have to have you two over for dinner." and i think, well, i'm here! and possibly trolling for fellowship a bit moreso than when he's here! what's up with that?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
Wow, that's a song I have heard a lot in my life -- apparently you are only "viable" as a couple person. This used to happen to me all the time. And it's such a drag. The negative spin is that people are so couple-focused and unoriginal that they don't think outside of couple world. But I think you should embrace the positive spin on this, which is that you are so fabulous and amazing and hot that other couples are afraid that having you around sans Chad will somehow bust up their supposedly solid relationships. :)
One strategy I have developed over time is to schedule weeknight activities with couple people. This has the advantage of allowing couple people to maintain their couple-y weekend things while at the same time giving you more of a social life. And, conversely, it also gives you the chance to save your ROC weekends for Chad in the event that you might actually want to keep him for yourself and not spend his entire visits with your collegues or friends.
aw, caraf, you are so sweet and we've never even met--what'd i do to deserve this? that strategy is a very good idea, i will try to institute that this spring. (although i like to think that even chad cannot stem the tide of my incredible allure, haha.)
Indeed, Bee Girl, you simply buzz with allure!
Damn I love your new photo!
And I'm here to report that after spending four days & nights (in a hotel room) with my other friend in the ROC, she's actually pretty cool. Except for that whole just-one-glass-of-wine-to-be-social, in-bed-by-10.30 thing. So we'll all have to do, like, lunch and a movie or something sometime (after which you & I can head to the bar...).
Bar Friend
BF: I'm there.
Post a Comment