Sunday, May 21, 2006

Stories Edie likes

There's the one about the blind date I went on several years ago. On what was to become our first (not last) date, I decided I wanted to see him again when I heard the story of why he was a vegetarian.

When this fellow was a freshman in college, he and his roommates decided that they needed a theme for their dorm room decorations. And further, this theme would be the Wild West. And so they got cowboy hats and hay bales, and decided that the final finishing touch just had to be a cow skull. So where do suburban Ohio boys get a cow skull? Butcher, I guess. It's hard to imagine them going to, say, a slaughterhouse. This detail is fuzzy. Anyway, they got a whole cow head somewhere, and to release it of its non-decorative eyeballs, brains, skin, etc., they decided to boil it. So they boiled it all day, and the smell was so disgustingly bad that my poor date could never eat meat again. And that's why I decided to go out with him again.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

sth similar happened to me, only mine was after witnessing an entire pig slaughter which involves lots of boiling as well. that and a bet with my best friend that we couldn't go a month without meat.

will you go out with me?

Elizabeth said...

well. yes. i will. but you also have made me realize that the fact that this guy when he was eighteen had decorating ambitions, and coherent ones at that, was part of the appeal. . .